----- Original Message -----
From: "rmarples" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <flexcoders@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 11:30 PM
Subject: [flexcoders] Re: Local storage of password

> Well the thing about this application is, I don't own the server. I'm
> using a 3rd party
> Internet web service (salesforce.com in this case). So I can't change the
> way the server
> authenticates people - actually it does so in a very rational way anyway.
> The requirement
> was simply to save the user the pain of having to type in their username
> and password
> every single time they hit my app since the browser auto-fill feature
> doesn't work for Flex
> apps. It's easy to store the username because I can throw it into a
> SharedObject because
> it's not sensitive, but for the password the salesforce.com security
> requirements are such
> that you can only store local passwords if you encrypt them and you can't
> store the
> encryption key in the code. Anyway, thanks for everybody's input but it
> looking like this
> requirement just isn't going to make sense, so I think I will push to just
> have the username
> saved but not the password.

Why is typing in a password such a big deal?

I think most users expect to have to sign in to an application, though some
companies operate a single sign-on architecture where that is not required.

What is the case here? We've focussed on one small aspect of security, what
is the bigger picture?

Paul

> Ryan

snip