Sorry to hear about your files, I did experience some similarity on a
big project, but I tracked it back to my power supply on my laptop,
here is my case, I was in a hurry and closed my flex workspace in
flexbuilder and unpluged my power supply while windows XP was
preforming shutdown. When I bootet win later. It started up whit
CHKDSK C: and found a bunch of corrupted files, so the work around
here is easy let XP shutdown before you unplug the power supply. or
unplug before you hit the Turn off button in XP.

this CHKDSK removed the files that was last modifyd and thows left
behimd was all empty inside but the bytes was the, Gald I had a
working
backup :)

Cato Paus