Maybe. If said tools and techniques are uncovered while being paid to
accomplish this "floor re-finishing", then No they do not have any legal right
to re-use it. In reality, will folks re-use/re-purpose what they've done?
Absolutely but they have no legal right to it and by taking such actions they
are placing themselves (albeit how greatly some people like to argue about) in
peril of legal proceedings against them. How often would that happen? More
often then people might realize.

Another alternative is that they could simply establish themselves with a
reputation of not respecting their agreements with customers (and believe me
word will get around quicker than a brushfire in the middle of August in
California hillside country) and they have effectively black-balled themselves.

Then again the employer could simply be fat, stupid and lazy thereby never
catching on to what is actually happening and the employee can take the
employer for all they can get.....

My recommendation is to simply sign the agreement, adhere to the letter and
(even more importantly) the spirit of the agreement and get on with your life:
I.e. Getting paid to do something that you enjoy and are proficient at, then
using the proceeds to behave like a twisted, salted pretzel with your
significant other...

GB,
Bubba