From: Kerry Thompson
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 10:57 AM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [flexcoders] Re: OOP and Work for Hire

Jeffry Houser wrote:

> It really depends on what that knowledge is.

That's really key. Let me give you a real-world example involving code,
rather than hardwood floors and toothbrushes ;-)

I've specialized in localization and internationalization for 15-20 years.
I'm bilingual, so that helps--that's a pre-existing skill I bring to every
job, and no contract is ever going to take that away from me.

About 10-15 years ago, in the Windows 3.1 days, I wrote a library, in C, to
display Chinese characters on English Windows 3.1. It was breakthrough
technology back then, and Sony paid me well for it. There is no way I could
ethically or legally use that code again (it's a moot point now, of course).

Last year I had a Director project in 8 languages, including 4 Asian
languages. The current version of Director then, MX 2004, didn't support
Unicode, and had no way to display Chinese. So I did what a genius friend of
mine, Mark Jonkman, did--I used a Flash sprite to display the CCJK text.

I can't legally or ethically re-use that same code. But I can darn sure use
Flash to display Unicode text within a Director movie. It might soon be a
moot point also, since Director 11 supports Unicode, and Director 12 might
be usable, but the point is that I'm using a known, pre-existing technique.
Sure, I refined and polished it, and I'll take that skill and knowledge with
me to the next gig. Just not the code. Snippets, maybe, but not the whole
shebang.

Cordially,

Kerry Thompson