And if you share it across companies, then you will have violated every known
law on IP....if there exists a "Work for Hire" agreement or anything closely
approaching such an agreement.

From: b_alen
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 1:55 PM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [flexcoders] Re: OOP and Work for Hire

So if I create a great algorithm for collision detection while working
for a client I can not use it ever again? And if I have to make it for
10 different clients in a year, I have to create 10 completely
different solutions for the same problem, so I don't copy. First of
all that's impossible. Second, if I do use the same knowledge and
techniques like you said, then the code is of secondary importance
anyway. I can heavily refactor the code and change all the variable
names but the heart of the algorithm will stay the same.

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Doug McCune" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
them (for
> almost nothing, but that's beside the point). Yes, I can take the
knowledge
> I gained while writing that book and write completely new tutorials
that I
> post on my blog (although a non-compete prohibits me from writing a
> competitive book). But the instant I copy and paste something I am
breaking
> the legal contract that I signed.
>
> The original question was about taking the exact code that was
created for
> one client and using it in another project (either for a client or
as open
> source code for the community). I don't think there's much of a
legal gray
> area here. Yes, everyone agrees that the knowledge and techniques
that you
> gain while writing code are yours and can often be used in other
projects.
> But that is not at all the same as saying it's ok to copy a class or
chunks
> of code verbatim.
>
> Doug
>
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 10:48 AM, b_alen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > That's exactly what I was saying from the beginning. Typing code is
> > not programming, as some on this thread think. Using your experience
> > and knowledge to solve problems is programming. And nobody can take
> > away that. I can delete all the code I have and I'll make even better
> > in no time, once I cracked the problems and figured out the best
> > architecture for certain business needs.
> >

> > --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com <flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com>,
"Kerry
> > Thompson" <alpha@> wrote:

> > > That's really key. Let me give you a real-world example
involving code,
> > > rather than hardwood floors and toothbrushes ;-)
> > >
> > > I've specialized in localization and internationalization for 15-20
> > years.
> > > I'm bilingual, so that helps--that's a pre-existing skill I bring to
> > every
> > > job, and no contract is ever going to take that away from me.
> > >
> > > About 10-15 years ago, in the Windows 3.1 days, I wrote a library,
> > in C, to
> > > display Chinese characters on English Windows 3.1. It was
breakthrough
> > > technology back then, and Sony paid me well for it. There is no way
> > I could
> > > ethically or legally use that code again (it's a moot point now, of
> > course).
> > >
> > > Last year I had a Director project in 8 languages, including 4 Asian
> > > languages. The current version of Director then, MX 2004, didn't
support
> > > Unicode, and had no way to display Chinese. So I did what a genius
> > friend of
> > > mine, Mark Jonkman, did--I used a Flash sprite to display the
CCJK text.