Hi,

vCOM build 114 works fine with WriteLog (contest logging software).
It's XP Home here in use as well.

73,
Riho, ES7AAZ.

Larry Loen wrote:
I am having trouble getting N8VB's virtual comm device driver going. Maybe the documentation exists, but it isn't biting me on the nose.

Here's the deal:

1.  I downloaded the 114 build.

2. I clicked on install.bat (seemed the likely thing to try -- no readme, so I guessed).

3.  It started off with all the usual warnings about unsigned drivers.

4. Then, it asked for vCom.sys. This took me aback. Why should I be asked about this?

5. There were two of them I found rummaging around. One was in a directory that commenced with the unobvious name of objckk_wxp_x86 and the other with the equally meaningless to me name of objfre_wxp_x86. But, they had the file in them.

6. I attempted to install one. After I selected it, the install appeared to complete. Rebooted. Ham Radio Deluxe failed to open it. The reason seemed clear enough. Windows' device manager complained it was missing necessary files to load the driver. It did seem to have installed the file I selected.

7.  Uninstalled the driver from Device Manager display.

8.  Installed the other one.

9.  Same messages.

I have a relatively vanilla XP Home system. I have it configured for the defaults (COM4, it appears) and that's "clear" on my system, as I have only COM1 and COM2 in terms of physical hardware. Nothing but COM1 shows up as a port as far as Windows is concerned.

What am I doing wrong? Where's the documentation I missed so I didn't have to do so much guessing? I saw no readme and nothing on Phil's page that was helpful for this.

Larry   WO0Z

PS, this is one time where I miss the forum.