I like your idea of keeping the existing low phase noise Oscillator and measure the drift and correct in the software. The whole thing could be quite cheap yet give you good results. Like you mentioned using a small CPU running off a GPS calibrated clock to measure the Oscillator output, multiple readings and average it out. This entails a minimum change to the radio, the software changes would be very small, adding an offset to the frequency of the DDS, a little bit of code to read the calibration offset from the measuring CPU.

Basically a Huff and Puff using software to do the actual correction.