...Even with traditional radios these days, the PC is an integral part of
operating.  Not critical as it is with a SDR, but still a very important
part.

With the SDR-1000, the PC is part of the *radio* and not just a station convenience accessory, and one must take that into account when measuring the impact on computer resources (ports, CPU, memory, display real estate, ...). I can operate with no computer in the shack with my traditional radio. I can't operate my SDR-1000 without a PC, because most of the radio *is* the PC (which is different than saying that the radio consumes most of the PC)!

...I have to disagree with your statement "Most folks don't, and leverage
an existing PC into being the radio as well as the PC. Or buy a new PC
for the SDR-1000 and leverage it into being their "shack" computer as
well."

I contend most do.

You are saying that most do use a separate PC for their SDR-1000? You may be correct.

My discussion was aimed at the use of *one* computer for the SDR-1000 *and* the other station functions, having only *one* physical display while simultaneously running and *viewing* several applications along with the SDR-1000. Not saying this shouldn't be done, or even that it is a bad idea, simply that using one display often times won't cut it if you want the console, digital operating software, logging, DX spotting, web browser and email programs all active *and displaying* at the same time!

In this scenario, you *need* more display real estate. You can get it with a dedicated PC for the radio, or you can get it with a dual video display system system on a single PC if the PC has enough computational power and effective I/O bandwidth, or you may be able to get it by using minimalist display windows for all the apps if they support such minimalist windows and they all fit simultaneously on your chosen display.

...And to be just as fair, why *should* I have to use a
dedicated machine.  I am only maxing out 15% CPU utilization with the
one I have now.  What a waste of a lot of good $$$$ and resources.

We are in violent agreement! I didn't mean to imply you *should* have a dedicated PC, only that with the SDR-1000, the PC is not as available as it was with a traditional radio. The SDR-1000 consumes some fraction of the CPU (15%, 50%, whatever) *and* about 1/2 million pixels of the display, whatever percentage that is.

If you have a single 1024x768 pixel display on your dual-core, 3+ GHz box, you still might feel cramped operating the SDR-1000 along with other apps simultaneously.

Or, if the logging/DX/whatever application talks to the SDR-1000 without the SDR-1000 console being displayed, then the SDR-1000 will occupy zero pixels and it is just like using a traditional radio under computer control. You only consume CPU cycles for the radio, not screen real-estate.

There are several solutions to the problem :-)

...I certainly hope we don't start taking steps backwards.

Me too!

Enjoy!

Lyle KK7P