Ed,

I have had my SteppIR running with the SDR-1000 for some time.  I plug
the SteppIR cable into COM1 and set the SteppIR box for Kenwood
operation at 9600 baud.  I then set the SDR-1000 CAT up for TS-2000 on
COM1 at 9600 baud.  I set parity to none, data bits to 8 and stop bits
to 1.  It follows perfectly.

73,   Tom   W0IVJ