--- Jim Lux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I actually think the optimum long range solution is a Linux
> embedded
> PC in the radio box talking over ethernet to the UI running
> on
> Windows (or whatever).  Then, the radio hackers get a nice
> open
> source platform to tinker in (and it's easier to do that
> kind of
> thing in Linux than Windows).  The "all I want is a radio"
> folks get
> what they want, without having to buy a whole 'nother
> computer that
> then has to be managed. (the embedded Linux box is a
> stripped down
> distro, etc.)  And the Windows UI folks get to do all the
> nice
> Windows UI things, including coexisting with other ham
> radio and
> other software.

This is pretty much the same conclusion that I keep coming
back to. Although I don't think that the SDR-1000's PC
necessarily need be embedded.

FWIW I drive my SDR-1000 (& other SDR experiments) dedicated
XP machine 90% of the time via VNC from my main 3 monitor W2K
 system even though the SDR-1000's PC is on the same KVM with
the W2K box.

Duane
N9DG