At 08:52 AM 1/25/2007, Dale Boresz wrote:
>One more comment regarding the use of external search engines to locate
>content in the KB and Download sites:
>
>The FlexRadio databases contain 'Keyword' fields which contain, not
>surprisingly, keywords that are relevant to the target being searched,
>but are in fact not part of any publicly accessible or viewable fields.
>When a search term is entered via the built-in search utility, the
>search query makes use of this 'Keyword' field, greatly improving the
>probability of locating your requested information. External search
>engines have no access to these keywords.
>
>Just another reason to use the tools provided ...  :-)

Or, alternately, a reason to not use a non-standard publication
strategy, but rather to publish your data in a way that users can use
the search tool with which they are most familiar or prefer?

If it isn't obvious.. I despise websites that force me to use their
particular search engine and information retrieval (websites composed
entirely of flash animations are anathema!).  I'd rather it be in
fairly vanilla static content so that local caches work, for
instance.  The worst thing in the world is to link to a piece of data
(a mfr data sheet for instance) and then have the links break because
the mfr has decided to go to a new and improved dynamic content
model.  This destroys the whole concept of linking to avoid making
local copies.  Dynamic content also makes it hard to give decent
bibliographic references and footnotes.

Either it is ephemera, intended only for the moment (i.e. a live
broadcast or advertising), or it's something that you presumably want
to exist for the ages. In the former case, who cares if it disappears
or changes name after it's been used the first time.  In the latter,
please give us a stable URL to be able to retrieve the
*resource*.  This is why book catalog numbers in libraries don't
change willy nilly, and why journals put page numbers and dates on
their covers. Likewise, this is why most of us keep the same name
(and/or callsign) for our life.

As a practical matter, dynamic content implies that you have a
reasonably 24/7 internet connection, and for field or portable
operations it's just not likely you'll have this.  You should be able
to snapshot the kb, blow it onto a CD-ROM, flash drive, or the
copious spare space on your hard disk drive, and be able to use it to
debug a problem when you're sitting in a tent during field day.

Jim, W6RMK