Interesting thread. I currently use a small mixer for my mic preamp with
a nano compressor
set to be a brick-wall limiting only. Works very well. By the way that
is what they used to
do on am broadcast stations. No compression, just limiting.

Chris
WA4CM

Chris Maukonen                      "Charley brown. You're the only
Sr. Systems Programmer               Person I know who can take a
University of Central Florida        perfectly wonderful time of the
Orlando, Fla.                        year like Christmas and turn it
Work: (407) 823 5460                 into a problem. I guess Lucy's
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                            right. Of all the Charley Browns'
                                     in the world, you're the Charley
                                     Browniest." Linus Van Pelt

All of the animals except for man know that the principle business of
life is to enjoy it.-- Samuel Butler