Bill Tynan wrote:

> It sounds like CCW would be the nuts for EME if it's capable of digging
> signals out of noise. But, I'm afraid I'm in the dark as to what CCW is.
>
> Someone, please enlighten me.

CCW attracted quite a bit of interest back in the late 70s and early
80s, but I have heard little mention of it since then. It required some
fairly elaborate hardware, so didn't become very popular.

Basically, the idea was to have the CW bit-rate defined very precisely,
and the hi/lo transitions be synchronous with a reference derived from
UTC. Thus, based on the expected propagation delay from the sending
station, the timing on the received pulses would be known allowing some
processing gain. Also, the transmitting frequency would be held
precisely, allowing very narrow filters.

Nowadays, with GPS derived time and frequency references, and elaborate
DSP being widely available, pretty much all that is needed could be
implemented in the SDR architecture. It would a really cool area to
experiment with, although as has already been pointed out, modern
digital modes are already far superior. See WSJT for example. CCW was
never really a candidate for EME because of the timing and frequency issues.

I was mostly interested in CCW for weak-signal terrestrial work on VHF,
but I never did get to complete the processing hardware. At the time, it
was mainly an HF mode.

The only easily available reference I have here is from:
VHF Communications, 1/82, Woodson, W6NEY, Coherent Telegraphy Transmissions.

That article references:
QST, Sept 75, Petit, W7GHM, Coherent CW: Amateur Radio's New State of
the Art?

Hope that helps.

GL & 73,  Alf  NU8I
Scottsdale  AZ  DM43an