Hi,

I can't get a straight key to work with my Flex-5000A.

Every few elements the rig misses key closures or openings with the result
that, on the sidetone, dits turn to dahs, multiple elements get run
together, or elements are missed entirely.  Every so often the sidetone
actually gets stuck on.  Watching an external power/swr meter it looks like
the problem is not just with the sidetone, i.e. the transmitted signal is
doing the same thing as the sidetone.

I'm running with the key plugged into the key input on the back of the rig
and "iambic" unchecked.  I've tried three different straight keys.  The
behavior happens with them all and none of them have such problems with my
other rig.  The 5000a works OK with the internal keyer and paddles connected
to the same input -- no problems as described above.  However, when I run
with an external keyer (WK USB) instead of the straight key the same kinds
or problems occur.  Again, the external keyer has no problems with my other
rig.

Anyone got any ideas?

73,

Mike - ke5akl