Quoting Frank Brickle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on Fri 28 Dec 2007 07:57:42 PM PST:

> On Dec 28, 2007 10:14 PM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>> $250K/yr radio development engineers?  What radio industry do you work in
>> and where do I sign-on?
>

> Dan --
>
> Most of these numbers reflect the Martian world of huge govvie contractors,
> locked-up IP, and executing dollars. They're staggering under their own
> inertia and dead weight as it is. It's illuminating to realize that software
> development methodologies are all about cost accounting. They have nothing
> to do with software.

Nonsense on many fronts.

10 holidays yr + 15 days vacation/yr = 25 days. Out of 260 nominal
days/yr (52 wks), that's about 10% right there.

Payroll and other taxes add about 10-15% (depending on the state, etc.)

Rent/heat/lights is probably around $20-25/square foot/year and for a
100 square foot cubicle, that's $2000-2500/yr, but, of course, you
probably also need lab space, so double or triple that.

$300/month for desktop computer (lease + support+network infrastructure)

Health insurance, etc. also adds up.

Then you get into the overheads.
10-20% of the employee's time is on non-task-productive work
(seminars, institutionally required training, etc.) (e.g. a lot of
companies allow 40hrs/yr for training.. that's 2% right there)

10-20% for administrative support (secretary, copying, etc.)
10-20% for line management (G&A)
10-20% for profit

And, then, I assume you need to invest in some equipment periodically, etc.

It all adds up.  I'll bet you'll find if you look at most surveys or
company balance sheets, a senior engineer, sitting at a desk, with all
the mod cons, will be pretty close to $200-250K/yr, depending on the
location.

Interestingly, I just read a paper looking at the equivalent
development cost for Linux (full up RH7 distro with all the add-ons)
and he came up with a gigabuck.  His data showed a "wrap rate" (fully
burdened multiplier) of 2.4 over raw salary cost (which is comparable
to my number above).

FWIW, a very, very tiny fraction of the cost is in closed source IP.
Most of it is just having a warm body sitting there doing useful work
on *your* task.

I'd also differ with you about software methodologies and cost
accounting, at least as a starting point. It's true that there IS a
fair amount of interest in measuring progress against funds expended,
but that's true of ALL industries, if they want to stay in business.
Most businesses don't have the luxury of being able to arbitrarily
slip delivery dates, have unlimited development funds, etc., and so,
they need to be able to have some way to know if they're making
progress, and what it's going to cost, so they can make those
investment decisions (make vs buy, if nothing else).  No surprise then
that businesses want to be able to cast software development into a
conceptual framework that can be related to other investments the
company might make.  I agree that a lot of the software development
methodology 'science' is aimed at making it possible for people who
know nothing about software development to manage it (a hopeless task,
in my opinion), but there is value in some of the fallout of that
desire.

It's also interesting to note that the vast majority (80% plus,
according to an interview in 2004 with Andrew Morton) of the kernel
changes to Linux were made by someone being *paid* to make them.(that
is, it wasn't the work of unpaid volunteers)  Clearly, whoever is
doing the paying has made some decision that the value of contributing
to the code base is worth some substantial non-zero investment of cash.