Microsoft is holding firm to ending retail sales of XP at the end of
June of this year. They will allow OEMs to bundle it with "low-cost
computer systems". They have, however, promised to support XP
(releasing new bugs, eh, fixes) thru June of 2010.

As you may know, when you buy Vista you can "downgrade" to a license
of XP and I am not sure what that policy will mean in terms of end of
selling XP (can you still downgrade after June 2008?).

I know that since I am doing a ton of software testing on Vista but
its so unstable I cannot use the testing machine regularly without it
blowing up. Oddly enough, the only place I have Vista stability is
running it under Apple Boot Camp or in VMWare.

Neal

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 8:10 AM, Tim Ellison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Joel,
>
>  It boils down to this.  Both the F5K and the SDR-1000 running the latest
> released version of PowerSDR is fully supported under XP.  The F5K is fully
> supported under Vista and the SDR-1000 is also supported with a few caveats.
>
>  The caveats are:
>  1.) There is no Vista driver for the USB-to-parallel control cable.  One
> must use a parallel port and a parallel cable.
>
>  2.) Third party audio drivers.  If the sound card you are using does not
> have Vista drivers, then you will probably not be able to run the SDR1K on
> Vista.
>
>  You can find the FlexRadio PowerSDR Compatibility statement here:
>  http://www.flex-radio.com/Support.aspx?topic=PowerSDR_Compatibility
>
>  XP vs. Vista:
>
>  IMHO, XP is faster running on comparable hardware and best suited for
> running PowerSDR.  Vista's "enhanced" security features, UAC and the
> administrator group not really having full administrator privileges seem to
> get in the way of a lot of things.  The common work around is to disable the
> new security features, but doing so is not recommended by either Microsoft or
> FlexRadio.
>
>  Some third party programs you may use with PowerSDR (loggers, digital mode
> programs, etc..) may not currently work with Vista.
>
>  I have other complaints about Vista, but none directly affect the operation
> of PowerSDR.
>
>  In my shack I have a dual boot machine with XP and Vista.  After testing for
> over a week with Vista, I use XP now full time and just use Vista for testing
> purposes.  XP is my personal preference for Windows operating systems.
>

>  Microsoft extended the life of XP earlier this year, but this was not
> prominently advertised.  Your OEM may no longer offer XP as an option since
> there are financial reasons not to, but you still should be able to buy it
> yourself and install it if you so desire.
>
>  Below is the link to Microsoft's Windows Life-Cycle policy
>  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspx
>

>  -Tim

Neal Campbell
Abroham Neal Software
Programming Services for Windows, OS X and Linux
(540) 242 0911