I was over on the Elecraft site looking at the K-3 and how it's configured.   I 
don't have any first hand experience but this is what I was able to figure out. 
 

There was a recent mention of how you could configure the K-3 for point and 
click so I decided to see what that was all about..  To do that you need to add 
a $100 dollar board to the K-3, you need to add N8LP's Lpan board for about 
$225 and you need to add a $300 sound card.  So to get a crappy version of what 
we get for free you need to spend an extra $625 for hardware PLUS they use a 
version of PSDR to run the whole kludged up mess.

If you want to add a second receiver its $599 plus up to 4 additional crystal 
filters adds another 350 or so (we have all the filtering already built into 
our second RX)

If you want to add a digital voice recorder its $99   We have one built in.  

If you want to add a full compliment of crystal filters it looks to be around 
$700

If you want to add general coverage to the receiver its $130  We have that 
built in

a 2M transverter is 369 

a 432 xverter is 399

a ATU is 329 

If you want to add their "really good oscillator" (not as good as the stock one 
in the F5K) its 100

Near as I can tell looking at the back panel the K-3 is far more rudimentary as 
far as the antenna switching/amplifier management goes.  It has 2 antenna 
outputs one RX ant input one transverter I/O and no steering of the control 
signals for things like amps etc.  As far as I know the K-3 is not designed to 
be full triplex so you won't be able to take advantage of that at any price. 
(not even the measly 130 bux of the HRFIO board trade out deal)

If anyone thinks they are getting screwed why don't they just go git 'em an 
Elecraft and see what a good shellacking is REALLY all about.  I think I read 
somewhere you could get you some Elecraft "air" straight out of their factory 
for an additional 100 bux.  

73  W9OY


      
_______________________________________________
FlexRadio Systems Mailing List
[email protected]
http://mail.flex-radio.biz/mailman/listinfo/flexradio_flex-radio.biz
Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/flexradio%40flex-radio.biz/
Knowledge Base: http://kb.flex-radio.com/  Homepage: http://www.flex-radio.com/

Reply via email to