Jimmy,

I've used both the Delta-44 and the FA-66 with the 1000. As for the 5K,
I can only judge by the ones I've heard on the air and my own, and
whether I use a PR-40 or an HC5 cartridge, it sounds very good, with no
trace of audible distortion. I listened to Jeff's recording and I agree
that the second half of the recording sounds quite bad. I'm only saying
that I have not heard that on the air, and certainly haven't heard it
from my 5K. For that reason, I wouldn't expect that the problem is due
to any inherent shortcoming in the DAC, or all FLEX-5000's would sound
that way, and they do not.

Regarding the monitoring setup, I've used the Icom 746PRO set to it's
3.6K 'Sharp' bandwidth, while monitoring the audio from the rear panel
(cleaner and wider bandwidth than the headphone jack) with several pairs
of headphones, including (at various times) the following models:
Beyerdynamic DT-880
Beyerdynamic DT-990
Grado Labs SR125
Grado Labs SR325

The monitored audio has been very clean with all of them, with no change
in character regardless of whether I run 1 watt or 100 watts.

I'd be happy to set up a sked sometime to run some comparative tests.

73, Dale
WA8SRA