On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 1:08 PM, Robert Dennison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've been in a few sports (like fencing) where automation basically
> ruined what was a very interesting activity...

Oh, well, you can be sure there will be contesting. It's like, around the
world, give a few kids a few square meters of open ground and something to
kick, and there *will* be soccer.

However, with amateur radio contesting, the prospects especially for
technological enhancements are very enticing. For example, with
authenticated logging of location (GPS)  and instantaneous power, the idea
of weighted distance scoring (distance between stations divided by power in
watts) is not only practical but leads to a very interesting set of
strategic challenges, especially if you can tailor power to optimize score
for a given QSO. Now, suppose all the stations had digital subcarriers that
sent their own values (coordinates, power) with each transmission. On six
meters, say, you have some entertaining decisions to make over what stations
to go after, in what order, and at what power, knowing full well that the
openings are of very limited duration...

Of course the thing that would ensure the survival of amateur contesting
into perpetuity would be open wagering, but *that* would never happen, would
it?

73
Frank
AB2KT

--
Travelling by airplane in the US is nothing more than mass training of
Americans to the requirements of the coming police state. The whole point is