Quoting Lee Mushel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on Sun 27 Jul 2008
03:32:01 PM PDT:

> I just got up from my nap to see the cognitive contesting business and I
> will admit that something that complex offers more than a few interesting
> aspects but you've not considered the *missing link*!   I see precious few
> cognitive operators and an amazing number of ideas that I don't understand.
> How, for example, can you claim to have an emergency communications system
> when no one has ever talked to any of the good folks who are going to be
> served?

Amateur radio isn't intended for Emergency Communications (at least,
that's not one of the reasons in Part 97). It just happens to be used
for it, particularly for non-emergency tactical comms portrayed as
rehearsals for real emergencies.

This is not to say that hams don't provide useful services.. but a lot
of that service is something in Part 97: skilled ops.. which I take to
mean the ability to get an antenna strung up in a tree because the
storm just blew the tower down, etc.

However, tinkering with C/SDR is definitely one of the Part 97
things.. improving the state of the radio art.