-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mike Walsh
Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 11:26 AM
To: flexradio@flex-radio.biz
Subject: [Flexradio] New Driver/Firmware Comment

The new driver will not allow selection of smaller buffer sizes when
operating in "Safe" mode.  I'm guessing that it's blocking selections
smaller than the old driver's minimum recommended size.  In order to select
smaller buffer sizes you have to switch to "Normal" mode.  I'm not positive
but I'm pretty sure the older driver didn't force this.  If not, is this a
"feature" of the new driver, or a bug?

[Eric] You are correct.  This is a new "feature" of the updated driver and
really should have been there from the start.  It really didn't make sense
to allow low latency buffer sizes when you are indicating longer DPC delays.
If you need to run lower buffers, you should be running Normal mode anyways.
If that doesn't work well, then you really need to be using larger buffers
for stability.

On my computer, PowerSDR has always had a tendency to lock up when doing
something with other programs -- for instance, clearing the display on CWGET
or opening directories with Explorer.  The PowerSDR display freezes and
audio output stops.  Stopping and starting PowerSDR always brings things
back to normal but it's an annoying problem.  I was hoping the new driver
would solve or at least help with this but it doesn't.

[Eric] Unfortunately this is outside the realm of what the driver can
control.  This is almost assuredly a DPC latency issue related to your
network card that shows up when you access network related applications.
Sometimes finding and installing the latest drivers for your NIC can help,
but often it is just a poorly implemented NIC driver for which there is no
resolution other than running in one of the Safe Mode options.

Note that there is a new DPC latency monitor in the control panel that can
help you with what Safe Mode setting makes sense.  It will collect the
maximum DPC latency as long as you have it enable and suggest a Safe Mode
setting.

I've had 3 instances of greatly reduced or no power output after starting up
with the new setup.  Killing and restarting PowerSDR brings everything back
to normal.  I believe this also happened, very infrequently, with the old
driver/firmware setup but it seems a lot more common with the new setup.

I've had one instance so far of the problem where audio drops after
releasing PTT.  As usual, hitting PTT agan clears this.

[Eric] Please keep me posted on both of these issues offline.

You still can't select Tx meter display with the new version of PowerSDR.
This problem existed with the V1.12 versions also.

[Eric] I'm not sure I understand this.  You can select a TX meter in RX or
TX mode.  Also, there is a separate selection to allow you to set your TUN
TX Monitor selection (ideal for using an external tuner and minimizing SWR
or Ref. power).

73 and thanks for fixing keying problems,

[Eric] No problem.  Thanks for your patience and your feedback.

Eric Wachsmann
FlexRadio Systems