Ross Stenberg wrote:
Reading between the lines it appears that the 3000 is every bit (no pun intended) the radio that the 5000 is. I'm sure that this was a delicate line to follow during the development of the 3000. The differences appear to subtle.

The differences are not so subtle. The IF bandwidth in the 3000 is limited by the less expensive codec to 96 kHz. Also as a result of the less expensive codec, the IMD dynamic range will necessarily be not quite as good as the 5000. But two things, that does not mean it is not good. The dynamic range is excellent and Flex will soon or has published the numbers. The 3000 will not support the second receiver and does not have the fancy RF/IO board with all of the antenna possibilities. For these and many other reasons I won't detail, the 3000 is $1500 while the 5000 is considerably more. But the 5000 is worth the extra money in my mind when you consider all that is packed in and I prefer it.

I know that major things are happening with the software now for both (and the SDR-1000) so I think all Flex users will benefit from their continuing loyalty and patience.

Bob
N4HY

--
(Co)Author: DttSP, Quiktrak, PowerSDR, GnuRadio Member: ARRL, AMSAT, AMSAT-DL, TAPR, Packrats,
NJQRP, QRP ARCI, QCWA, FRC.