Edwin Marzan wrote:
Considering that the differences are not so subtle will there ever be a case where the 5000 would be able to hear a weak signal (or somesuch) that the 3000 or 1000 couldn't hear?

Edwin Marzan AB2VW

There are cases where you can cause intermodulation distortion in the 3000 that COULD mask a weak signal of interest that would not occur in the 5000.

The cost differential between the 5000 and 3000 are definitely NOT driven by the change in receiver dynamics. The cost differential is all of the extras in the 5000 making it one of the "do-all" class radios. Diversity reception being the one that I am working on in my branches now would be a case in point,etc. The cost of the RFIO and the cabinet to include it alone make up a large porition of the difference in cost, as well as the quality second RF path. The necessitates duplication of DDS, controls, etc. for the RX2. The differences in cost between the 3000 and the 5000 are completely understandable is my only real point.

But to answer your question more practically, there will be very few cases on a band that is not loaded wall to wall with contesters (as an example) that you will ever experience receiver dynamics differences so most of the time, they will hear about the same.

Bob
N4HY

--
(Co)Author: DttSP, Quiktrak, PowerSDR, GnuRadio Member: ARRL, AMSAT, AMSAT-DL, TAPR, Packrats,
NJQRP, QRP ARCI, QCWA, FRC.