From: Tim Ellison [mailto:telli...@itsco.com]
Sent: Monday, June 01, 2009 8:09 PM
To: Woodrick, Ed; Jim Madden; flexradio@flex-radio.biz
Subject: RE: [Flexradio] vhf/uhf digital modes and repeater operation

OK, so proprietary was the wrong description.  The original specification is in
the public domain, developed by JARL as you noted. It specifies the AMBE 2020
codec.  Apparently only one company has seen fit (or gone through the trouble)
to develop a CODEC to fit the standard.  The codec is *not* freely available.
It must be licensed from DVSI as a 'black box' (either chips or pre-compiled
binaries).  This precludes putting it into a GPL application distribution as
you have to distribute the source with any pre-compiled binaries.  When there
is an open source version of the AMBE 2020 codec, then there might be a chance
it could be included in open source SDR software.

-Tim