From: Bob McGwier [mailto:rwmcgw...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 6:36 PM
To: Woodrick, Ed
Cc: flexradio@flex-radio.biz
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] vhf/uhf digital modes and repeater operation

I believe that we should follow the route that Ed is suggesting, even as
it sticks in my craw.

We can buy a dongle for less than $125 depending on who you get it from
and with how much support, etc. that will do the AMBE encoding and
decoding.  We can have open source D-Star but talk to this dongle and
much more.  I think we hold our nose and realize we are going to be
interoperable with P25 services of first responders and paying much less
than would otherwise be required to get D-Star.  I am an idealist, or
otherwise I would not have given away five years of effort to Flex and
this community for NOT ONE SINGLE RED CENT outside of those things my
employer wants me to do.  Yet for the greater good, I believe in this
case, we should compromise.  When and if a new standard becomes
available, and we can get it done open source GPL,  we drop it in.

Bob
N4HY