Harry and all-- I agree, it is complicated. I'm a computer geek, and
I've spent many hours researching and getting things to work. I've only
had my Flex 12 days!

I went into this SDR thing understanding that this is basically a geeks
form of ham radio, and buoyed by the fact that I like fiddling more than
actually talking on ham radio. From my early days, I spent more time
with the soldering iron in hand than with a mic or key.  Now I look at
the Flex as a different form of soldering iron, resistors and capacitors
and cables.

I think it has taken me about 6 hours to get the PSK thing going--
started last night about 9pm-- worked until 1am getting the audio part
working (VAC), then this morning put in a couple more hours getting CAT
to key the transmitter, and setting the audio gains and sampling rates,
yada yada.  This is all new to me-- I had never heard of DigiPan, and
had briefly read about VAC and CAT but it really didn't stick.

I did find the Flex Knowledge articles, but since I didn't know to
search on VAC or CAT, they didn't initially come up.  I was searching on
Flex and DigiPan, hoping to find a step by step how-to, but that wasn't
producing much.  I think "Flex and PSK" finally led me to the basic
articles.  The main article quoted by others got me going with VAC well,
but never even mentioned how to key the transmitter, so it was another
hour of reading before I stumbled onto CAT.

Since I'm running Window 7/64 bit, CAT was it's own challenge. The
regular program  is 32 bit only, so I had to use something with 64bit,
since Windows  7/64 only accepts 64bit drivers.  Found  0com0
(zeroComzero).  Then there was the problem that the driver is unsigned
(digitally) so Windows 7 balks. Had to get it into a different mode so
it would accept 0COM0.  So it is a lot of hassle, or just a challenge,
depending on your view.

But then I watched a guy spent 10 hours during field day trying to get
PSK to work on a analog transceiver.  He had audio cords that got RF in
them, keying cords, a couple hundred dollar interface box-- wires all
over the table.  A special audio card in the computer because the
built-in audio wasn't good enough. 10 hours he fought getting real
serial lines to work, setting RTS and all to go.  Then the audio
troubles-- he was either overdriving or under driving or Windows was
playing its chimes and beeps and songs into the PSK stream. In the end
he only made one PSK contact.  And he said it all worked perfect at
home, but moving it caused havoc I guess.

So compared to wires, cables, soundcards and rig ruiner interface, my
battle with VAC and CAT wasn't too bad-- certainly no worse.

I guess it comes down to what you like most....  If you just want to get
on the air in the most simple way, the SDR might not be the way to go.
But if the path to getting there is the most rewarding part of the trip,
Flex provides an amazing new set of things to learn about and get a
challenge from.

Now I got to go study up a bit more on those sampling rates-- I don't
think I have it all clean quite yet, although I did just make 5 contacts
on 20M PSK31-- yaaaa

Steve WA7DUH
Kennewick, WA

willisw...@msn.com wrote:
Guys,
I love my Flex and would never give it up but how in the heck can the
average ham be expected to wade through this in an attempt to get some 3rd party software to play with the Flex???? The interface to the Flex should be
simple compared to hardware based radios. That is one of the benefits I
always hear when people are pushing this radio but more and more it seems to be just the opposite. I am getting sick and tired of these kind of issues.
You have to be a computer geek to wade through all of this and when you
finally get something to work you do not know why and it probably will be
broke with the next release of whatever and we will then go through it all over again. Seems to me someone needs to get their arms around the Flex AND
the interface to the Flex and maintain it. I certainly do not have any
answers but get discouraged when things get so complicated. I can not
imagine what a newbie would think who monitors the reflector before deciding
whether or not to buy a Flexradio.

I just spent most of the day trying to configure CW Skimmer and VAC and the Flex and though I got it working it was not what I would call fun. Maybe that’s why I am kind of snarly.

73,
Harry
W0LS