From: flexradio-boun...@flex-radio.biz
[mailto:flexradio-boun...@flex-radio.biz] On Behalf Of Mike WA8BXN
Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 1:42 PM
To: audio...@charter.net
Cc: flexradio@flex-radio.biz
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] Drifting noise hills

To all:

I am several miles from anything close to industrial. Neighborhood noise
generators like appliances would not be on for hours.

I tuned around with my 1500 now to see what I could find. At the upper end
of 20 M I am finding a similar pattern, but this time its much broader (on
the order of 20 KHz) and much less amplitude. Again, the panadapter is
really needed to find it. The hill is very smoothly shaped.

I somewhat consistent feature is an audible ummmm-ahhhhhh cycle about a
second long each half (really hard to describe in words). On the panadapter
this audible difference is a slight shift in frequency back and forth.
Usually there is an overall movement up or down in frequency, that with time
can reverse itself.

At one point my son had a bit of interest in radio astronomy and I did a bit
of reading on listening to Jupiter's moons or something like that. There
were some suggested HF frequencies to listen to (mostly picked because of
little earth use of them).

I wonder if what I am seeing perhaps in part could be space noise?

Its been interesting reading all the comments, thanks to all who have
contributed. I'm glad others have seen similar things.

73 - Mike WA8BXN