On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 1:27 PM, Mike WA8BXN <hubb...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> How about some more possibilities as to source since others are seeing
> these
> things: Could it be some sort of spread spectrum signal that should go
> un-noticed in our bands. The one second or so variation rate made me think
> of electric fence noise. I doubt its that because I don't think there are
> any around, and the noise is not switching on and off.
>
> Could these things be DSL or cable leakage?

It is possible they could be just about anything. The best way to find out
is to start by turning off the power and running your station on batteries
to see what noise sources are left, if any. If that got rid of the bulk of
the noise sources then you have your work cut out for you to nail them down
individually and kill them .

The one caveat to that is that I have found that my laptop display is an
emitter, especially when it is in the near-field pattern for the antenna
(such as my operation in Dominica). The computer itself is a source you just
can't eliminate.

OTOH, I have found that wrapping the display completely in aluminum foil
makes all noise sources disappear.

--
Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
3191 Western Dr.