To: <flexradio@flex-radio.biz>
Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 10:40 AM
Subject: [Flexradio] Drifting noise hills

I have noticed at times (particularly during fox hunts) what I can best
describe as a noise hill that usually drifts around in frequency. For a
width of several KHzon the panadapter I see what is shaped like a "normal
curve" that trails off for many more KHz. In panfall mode I can see a
brightening where the curve in the panadapter display.

Sometimes, when the peak of the curve is in the passband of the receiver I
can hear a shift in the noise frequency at around a second or two intervals
as the peak drifts around.

I have observed this with both a 1000 and 1500 flex radios. Disconnecting
the antenna gives a flat display. Connecting a wire to the antenna several
feet long just in the shack does not show the noise hill, so it doesn't look
like its something in the shack.

The effect happens with a number of antennas and is not consistent at all. I
live in a rural area with other houses hundreds of yards away.

Has anyone else observed this sort of thing or have any idea what it might
be?

Thanks in advance!

73 - Mike WA8BXN