On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Mike WA8BXN <hubb...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I decided to cut off all power to the house, ran the 1500 on battery, and
> used a laptop on its own battery. Still was able to quickly find some of
> the
> hills on the panadaptor.
>
> I am thinking of putting a dummy load where my vertical is at the end of
> the
> feedline and see if I have any hills that way. If they go away then they
> are
> coming from antenna pickup and nothing in the shack.

Good idea.

> Anyone have any thoughts these things could be coming from cosmic sources?

Planetary and galactic noise sources tend to be pretty weak. I think that,
while it may be a possibility, it is not very likely. The most likely
sources are terrestrial and probably local to your QTH.

But I have found Arcturan spacecraft to be pretty noisy emitters. The
problem is, they disguise their emissions to make them look like a
run-of-the-mill switching power supply so no one will pay any attention.

--
Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
3191 Western Dr.