I should also address that three different brands of firewire cable
have been tried at this point, none of which make any difference- once
the thing goes bad it's bad until a full 8 hours or more of rest.
Apparently there's some capacitor discharging in there which
eventually lets things reset and then it usually works properly at
that point.

Incidentally, I just turned on the Flex as I sit here typing, and it
initialized.