If the green LED in the granite digital cable is what you are referring to,
the voltage on the PC firewire jack is what turns it on, so when it goes lit
for 5 seconds and turns off, it would lead me to believe you have a funky
firewire port on your PC. I have seen some cases where the port is partially
covered by computer case overhang or the spacers between the slots so the
plug does not go in all the way into the jack, which also could be your
situation. I would try a different firewire card if you can.

In the XP control panel for Power, select the one where its says Always
powered up (or something similar, I am not near an XP machine at the
moment). Since you are not using USB (i.e.m 1500) then I would not suspect
the USB power management in XP.

73
Neal Campbell
Abroham Neal Software