As I dreaded, my Flex is unusable this weekend. Well, on the bright
side, it did give me a chance to try all of these suggestions, and
nothing worked.

Tried setting power profile to "high performance"

Tried manually disabling the firewire device in the device manager and
re-enabling.

Tried rebooting and power cycling (which I've done a lot before to no
avail, but why not)

Boy, this sure is discouraging.