Holy crap! Can you tolerate a latency of 6us?

On 3/24/2011 9:32 PM, Neal Campbell (K3NC) wrote:
SSDs are the best "single component" update you can do to a Vista or Win7 system. When you give Win7 the right amount of memory (4GB for x86, 6GB for x64 is what I recommend) and put the operating system, swap file and program files on the SSD, it takes a lot of bottleneck out of WIndows. Prior to the latest Service Pack, I had a system that had 0us latency as measured by DPCLat. After SP1, it now measures 6us.
Granted I test a lot of parts or this function but this one is  a winner!
73
Neal

-----Original Message----- From: Ted Trostle
Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2011 10:22 PM
To: Alfred Green
Cc: Flex Radio
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] Solid State Drives?

What a great question !!! Would a flash drive also work ???

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 9:13 PM, Alfred Green <n...@cox.net> wrote:

Is there any significant advantage to going with a SSD for Flex
applications? I really don't see a lot of HD usage under normal operation. It is a fairly recent box with an Intel Core 2 CPU, Win XP, and is pretty much devoted to my F3000. PSDR 1.18.6 (I know, I plan on upgrading soon),
HRD + DM780 with the glue apps. The browser gets used very little;
downloading something or watching DX-Sherlock during the 6m season.

CPU usage is less than 20%, and DPCs rarely get much above 100us.

I don't notice a current speed limitation, but maybe there is something
that I'm overlooking.

They are still quite expensive, in terms of $/GB compared to the HDDs.

Any comments appreciated.

73  Alf  NU8I
Scottsdale  AZ  DM43an