A good and free and so far 100% reliable application is Easeus
TodoBackup with will clone drives, backup drives to an image, restore
from an image and even mount said image as another drive letter, very
flexible and did I say free...obviously no connection to the company,
just a user as I am of Ghost, Acronis VMware etc etc
The latest is version 2 where they removed the ability to clone server
operating systems... glad I kept my V1.1 hi hi

Yes you can use the above software to clone your drive to a SSD drive,
then change the boot order or remove the old HDD

I retained my hdd as drive D but also 'moved' the c:\users folder to
drive D as a junction point/hard symLink, so the operating system
(win7-64 in my case) doesn't know any difference, therefore all the temp
files, documents, music, pictures and other clutter which resides there
isn't using up valuable IO's on the SSD

This technique of moving Users is simple but has to be followed in a
logical manner and may be different depending on your drive letters,
disk numbers;

Reboot with Win7 / Vista DVD and enter "Repair your computer" mode
Select command prompt
                                   Identify drives.  For me  C:\ was the
SSD with Windows 7 and D:\ was my HDD
                                  Then move the users directory with:
C:\> move c:\Users c:\Users.bak
                                  Use 'diskpart' to assign the mount
point
C:\> diskpart
         list disk
         select disk 2                     (my HDD)
         select partition 1            (main partition)
        assign mount=c:\users
        exit