On 3/24/2011 7:32 PM, Mickey Baker wrote:
There's a good article comparing the two technologies here: http://www.technize.com/ssd-vs-hdd-comparison/
Interesting, thanks.

They're a lot faster, but remember that FLASH memory has a lifespan of 100,000 writes per cell. SSDs have dynamic reallocation algorithms to move data around so that you don't get "hot" cells and failures, but over the course of several years on a busy workstation the disk will wear out faster than a typical SATA drive.

I doubt my usage would approach that being a problem!

Core2's aren't THAT recent - I recently moved everything off a 1.5GHz Core2 Duo to a AMD 635 - 4 cores, 2.9GHz, 8Gig RAM and now things work a lot more smoothly with my Flex 1500.

By recent, I meant about three years ago. I realize that was when dinosaurs roamed, in computer terms.

The new "hybrid" drives look interesting as a middle ground position:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/seagate_momentus_xt_500gb_hybrid_drive_review

I hadn't heard of them, so something else to check out.

73  Alf