> Just to be sure, I ran spinrite (www.grc.com) and it reports no drive
> errors.  This does a great  job of working with the drive offline and
> communicating only with the drive controller (and not through windows).



I use Spinrite but I have also had excellent results recovering drives using
Seagate SeaTools that Spinrite could not handle.  The last drive I used it
on had was the 5-year old 250 GB C: drive in my main personal computer, with
lots of important files on it. (Isn't that always the way it is? <G>

The drive was running very slow.  The data transfer rate was so slow that
according to Spinrite, it would take about 200 days to complete running on
the drive.  It took SeaTools about 10 hours to run, but when it was done,
the drive booted correctly, and all the files were recoverable.  Spinrite
then reported the drive was transferring data at the correct rate.  Needless
to say, I replaced the drive.

And yes, I did have a backup of the drive, except for some files on the
desktop, which, of course, I really needed.

73,

Ralph  W5JGV - WD2XSH/7


_______________________________________________
FlexRadio Systems Mailing List
[email protected]
http://mail.flex-radio.biz/mailman/listinfo/flexradio_flex-radio.biz
Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/flexradio%40flex-radio.biz/
Knowledge Base: http://kc.flexradio.com/  Homepage: http://www.flexradio.com/

Reply via email to