Many  knowledgeable people give this advice.  Many equally knowledgeable
people take my position.  I am not a computer scientist, I stayed at a
Holiday Inn.....

But whether you do or do not disable driver signing, it is quite important
to take reasonable steps to control what gets loaded onto your system.  That
is not as difficult as some make it out to be.  A good firewall, a good
anti-virus program, and most importantly good common sense offer a very high
level of protection.  Yes, one can cite anecdotes to the contrary, that I
readily agree.  But I haven't seen any data, systematically collected under
controlled conditions, showing that there are significantly fewer "random
things getting loaded" under Win7/64 than other flavors without the driver
signing requirement.  If such data are out there, point me to them.

Peter's advice is spot on if you want the highest possible level of safety.
I contend, given the provisos cited above, that you don't decrement your
safety very much, in a real world setting, if you kill Billy-knows-best.

Bill

PS.  To the person who asked in a private post, the reference is to Mr.
Gates.








On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 8:12 PM, Peter G. Viscarola <[email protected]> wrote:

> <QUOTE>
> Just remember to take it out of Billy-knows-best mode by disabling its
> insistence on driver signing.
> </QUOTE>
>
> I would respectfully suggest that disabling driver signing is not a good
> idea for the average person.  In fact, I would suggest it's not a good idea
> for ANYone.
>
> There is absolutely, positively, nothing wrong with the OS requiring
> loadable kernel-mode modules to be unambiguously identified as to their
> origin.
>
> That is all driver signing does on 64-bit Windows.  Not one thing more.
>
> To disable driver signing is to open your system up to random things being
> loaded into, and executed as part of, the operating system.  In my personal
> and professional option, this is at the very least unwise.
>
> Peter
> K1PGV
>
>
_______________________________________________
FlexRadio Systems Mailing List
[email protected]
http://mail.flex-radio.biz/mailman/listinfo/flexradio_flex-radio.biz
Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/flexradio%40flex-radio.biz/
Knowledge Base: http://kc.flexradio.com/  Homepage: http://www.flexradio.com/

Reply via email to