I did a presentation to my club a few months ago about SDR. I had the same problem about people thinking their more conventional radios were "software defined".

I handled it like this: If ALL the processing is done by a computer working with a digital stream the radio puts out, then it was an SDR.

If the processing was done inside the radio by dedicated hardware, then it wasn't.

The key point I made was that a *true* SDR isn't locked down to a specific piece of hardware, or chipset, inside the radio that couldn't be changed.

You could update the *firmware* that controlled the chipset, but you were stuck with whatever the OEM soldered in there.

A *true* SDR does not have those limitations since the "radio" part is just an RF-to-Digital converter, and the brains are in the software running on the computer.

Most people understood the difference (as *I* perceive it), and the presentation went smoothly.

Of course some people will think that just because they can connect their radio to a PC to control it, or update the firmware in it, they have a "Software Defined Radio", and refuse to believe otherwise.

I think it's a case of "Radio Envy"!

73, Jim  KQ6EA