Wikipedia has a definition and discussion of software defined radios.  The
page also has a link to a list of software-defined-radios, obviously
incomplete as it does not include Flex.  The link is at the bottom of the
article in the section "See Also".  It also has a link to a list of
web-based software-defined receivers in the section "External Links".

A Google search turns up more definitions of SDR.  There seems to be a
difference of opinion whether code stored in a ROM (fixed or reprogrammable)
qualifies as software.

The military JTRS (Joint Tactical Radio System) program is a long running
program to produce a common radio platform (the hardware) to run all the
military radio waveforms (the software).  Their experience provides solid
evidence that the software is not necessarily easier to create or to change
than is the hardware.  For what it's worth, JTRS is understood to be an SDR
and the software is stored in ROM.

As this discussion thread has highlighted, there are many ways to implement
some of the functions of a radio in software.  I happen to be quite fond of
the way Flex Radio Systems does it.

Thurman Irving, AA5KK