At 15:10 12/11/2011, Jim Jerzycke wrote:
We're discussing it because a lot of people don't have a clear understanding of what a Software Defined Radio actually is.

Well, when I wrote a talk about SDR I defined an SDR this way (talking about rcvr, but xmit is similar):

A radio has five jobs:
1. Amplification (picowatts from the antenna to watts to the headphones or speakers) 2. Band selection (to permit adapting some later functions to a narrower frequency range)
3.  Frequency reduction (from MHz to KHz)
4.  Tuning (to reduce the region of focus from many KHz to a few Hz or KHz).
5. Demodulation (to recover the signal from its processed form (think FM for example))

A conventional radio accomplishes ALL these functions in hardware.
Because of speed/bandwidth restrictions, ALL current radios do 1, 2, 3 in hardware or special purpose microchips. I said it was an SDR if it used software or upgradable firmware to accomplish any of 1-5.

Notice that the FCC appears to believe that software is easier to upgrade than hardware. If you think about most MARS mods, this is clearly wrong, but the FCC gives diode-lifting a free ride because it is a hardware mod. And nowhere does the FCC consider data mods. If band frequency and mode limitations are governed by a table, then changing the table is NOT a software mod. Hmmmm. And firmware mods are apparently considered hardware because they are implemented in a ROM, not code on a hard disk or floppy or CD. Suppose it is an EAPROM?

This is clearly an area that needs rethinking by minds more technologically competent that those used so far.

--
Dave Gomberg, San Francisco   NE5EE     Programming since 1959
All addresses, phones, etc. at http://www.wcf.com/ham/info.html