On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 1:06 PM, TM <tm.st...@verizon.net> wrote:

> I am having a problem with my new Flex 3000 and PSDR 2.2.3.  After the
> radio
> has been turned on for some time the audio becomes very distorted.
> Sometimes, this takes the form of "motor-boating" and at other times it is
> more like a low freq hum on top of signals.   This seems to happen after
> perhaps 30 minutes of on time.  As soon as I stop PSDR and restart it via
> the "Start" button the problem disappears.

What you are experiencing is a spike in deferred procedure call (DPC)
latency causing the driver to lose synchronization with PowerSDR. A quick
stop/start resets everything and reestablishes synchronization. This is a
long-time issue that has been around from the beginning.

The problem is usually a misbehaving driver in your system. The worst
culprits are usually the WiFi (802.11), Bluetooth, and the video driver.
The Ethernet driver also causes problems occasionally.  The fix is often to
update the driver or disable the device.

Sometimes there can be programs that cause problems. Someone alluded to
Carbonite which is a known problem. Some versions of browsers and mail
programs have caused problems as well. It is best to make sure that NOTHING
else is running.

And then there are system configuration changes that can help. I disable
paging which I have found to help substantially. If your system puts
devices to sleep or it switches the processor to low-speed, low-power mode
that can cause problems as well.

So there are lots of things that can affect this. If you want to see when
it occurs, bring up the Flex FireWire driver, click on the DPC button, and
click "Clear" to start the data collection. It will show you the DPC
latency over time. It will also tell you which mode you should use for your
driver.

--
Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
3191 Western Dr.