From: "H. Russ Hughes" <russwa7...@owt.com>
To: <FlexRadio@flex-radio.biz>
Subject: [Flexradio] SDR Programming Problems
Date: Thu, Mar 8, 2012 7:56 pm

I must be losing my mind as I age, because I have not been able to make the
latest version of SDR work. I spent eight years in computer maintenance, did
a little programming, but this new stuff has become very difficult to
comprehend any more.  Some of the users may be competent to handle this
stuff, but not all ham's are as computer literate, or competent to handle
this new SDR radio programming. I got the FLEX 5000A working when I first
got it a few years ago. I loved the features that it provided and actually
operating the radio was not too difficult. The problem comes when updating
the operating system programs. There are many abbreviations being used that
are simply Greek to me. Unless the manufacturer of these radios intend to
limit their use to a restricted number of Ham's, there will have to be some
way of automatically re-programming these radios. I have both the Flex 5000A
and the Flex 1500 and they are both fine operating devices, but only if one
can get them programmed without a degree in computer programming. Can you
imagine how popular the cell phone would be if you had to do the same
technical level of programming to make them first operate as a SDR radio now
requires?  I hope something can be done to make setting up a SDR a little
easier than it presently is.

Russ Hughes
WA7ACO