Christian Mayer writes:
> Hi,
>
> is there a reason why SimGear/misc/zfstram.hxx was changed from
>
> #ifdef HAVE_ZLIB
> #  include <zlib.h>
> #else
> #  include <simgear/zlib/zlib.h>
> #endif

> #include <zlib.h>
>
> ? As ZLIB isn't standard (perhaps except on Linux) it's great to have
> the fallback to the supplied version. And adding the additional include
> directories to ZLIB and probably Metakit (dunno as my compilation
> stopped that early) isn't my idea of a clean compilation.

It was a slight phylisophical shift.  Although zlib and metakit aren't
standard on all systems, they are standard on many systems, and there
were various problems trying to build them inside of the simgear make
system.

So, I ripped out the zlib and metakit trees from the distribution so
they are never built by default as part of simgear, and instead
include zlib-1.1.3.tar.gz and metakit-2.4.2-32.tar.gz as a convenience
for those that do need to build these packages themselves.

But, because they are configured and compiled separately, simgear
builder can better follow their specific install instructions and
won't have the problem with simgear inadvertantly screwing things up
on some platforms.

Regards,

Curtis Olson   Intelligent Vehicles Lab         FlightGear Project