David Megginson writes:

>Norman Vine writes:
>
> > IMHO the biggest obstacle to reading and developing FGFS code is
> > the formatting
> >
> > We really need a mechanical formating means that is acceptable to
> > every one as the CVS standard even if it is not perfect or even
> > close to what one would personally use.
>
>I disagree that this is the biggest obstacle (or even one of the top
>10), but then, I use an editor (XEmacs) with syntax highlighting,
>brace matching, language-based navigation (jump forward one function),
>etc., so those features might be hiding the problem from me.

The problem, which I am guessing you don't see, is I believe
due to much of the source having a mix of tabs and spaces
in the formatting.

FWIW  try setting your tab-size to 4 spaces

I think the cure for this is to have everyone detab their source
before submission or if people insist on using the emacs feature
of automagically converting whitespace to tabs to add a hints line
in a comment saying what the 'reccomended' tab size settings are
for the file,  I believe EMACS variants can automate this and even
automagically adjust themselves to use the 'per file setting'

Cheers

Norman