> If the page being shown does not show the #ifdef, it can be really
> confusing. I can't recall any specific examples of this in the code, but I
> remember being bitten by this kind of thing a couple of times when perusing
> some of the base FlightGear code.

Some of it is simply people being polite and leaving another developer's
code in the file rather than deleting it for them.  However, unless the
person who #ifdef'ed the code tells the other developer to look at it,
this is unlikely to be noticed and thereafter deleted.

> Elimination of dead code (as we all know, CVS is really good for tracking
> past changes) and better documentation would be really helpful. We'd like to
> be better in JSBSim too - we all face this.

How about doing this kind of diff ?
> /* The clever function was removed from the CVS after rev 2.13.4 */
< int clever()
Anybody who is interested can "cvs update" back to that version
and read it through ... without cluttering things up.