Andy,

I had the autopilot on the entire time during the test and it was
maintaining 1000' ASL the whole time.  So, yes, the autopilot was
changing the trim to hold a constant altitude.

So, if I am at my max speed with 0 flaps in a straight and level
configuration, then there is *no way* that lowering the flaps should
net you additional speed while maintaining the same straight and level
flight path.  I don't care how well you explain it. :-)

I just tried your change to Surface.cpp and really didn't see much
difference in performance ... I'm still able to fly significantly
faster (straight and level) with full flaps than I can with no flaps.
This is not correct.

Regards,

Curt.