David Findlay wrote:

> > As far as the SI vs. English units go, I restate my declared
> > neutrality.  While doing calculations *in* SI units is much safer and
> > easier, I also see the advantages to representing them externally in
> > traditional units.  Typical (North American, anyway) altimeters still
> > report feet, VSI indicators read in fpm, etc...  Panel authors are in
> > a poorer position to do the conversion than the FDM folks are.
>
> The easiest way to fix this is to have a properly
>
> /sim/metricorimperial.
>
> If set to 1 all values will magicly turn from imperial to metric. if set to 0
> they will all magically turn to imperial, no matter what they were entered
> in. Could this be done? Thanks,

We might be able to create such a logic, but IMHO too much depends on
it. Every part of the code that uses these properties would have to
check /sim/metricorimperial and convert the data itself.

I think it could be better to add an adition "subdirectory" to each
property, e.g.

  /environment/wind/mps
  /environment/wind/fps
  /environment/wind/knots

The environment code sets only one of these and the property logic
dynamically creates the other ones when they get requested.

The benefit is that only those conversions are done that need to be
done. This should be good for performance.
But I don't know if the gneral overhed would eat up all performace gains
and generate a performance loss in the end.

CU,
Christian

--
The idea is to die young as late as possible.        -- Ashley Montague

Whoever that is/was; (c) by Douglas Adams would have been better...