On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 10:47:03AM -0700, Tony Peden wrote:

> --- Melchior FRANZ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > * Andy Ross -- Wednesday 15 May 2002 18:44:
> > > Typical (North American, anyway) altimeters still
> > > report feet, VSI indicators read in fpm, etc...
> >
> > Same here. But please don't tell me that US
> > meteorologist work
> > with slugft3.
>
> Don't be so quick to slight slugs, feet, etc.
>
> The fundamental units of each system are
> ***arbitrarily*** defined and, because of that
> each system requires everybody to agree on a
> common set of arbitrary definitions.

I wish it was that simple. After moving to Canada, I was doing an off
the cuff calculation and said '1 gallon of water is roughly 8lbs'.
Imagine my surprise when everyone in the room disagreed with me,
saying a gallon weighs 10lb. All was made well when I was reminded
that Canadians use imperial gallons. Aaargh.

SI is a real international standard, while 'english' units are just a mess.

Of course, I am constantly reminded of my US background when I tell
the Scouts in my troop to cut a 6' piece of line and get blank stares.
They want me to say 2m. At the same time almost none of them can tell
me their 'weight' in kilograms.

--
James (Jay) Treacy