On Thu, 16 May 2002 11:58:23 +0200,
Martin Dressler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On Thu 16. May 2002 00:51, you wrote:
> > ..does anyone use metric flight instruments anymore?
> > The only ones I know of, were the WWII Luftwaffe and the
> > Warsaw Pact Air Forces and "hang-arounds", possibly also
> > the Communist Chinese AF.  AFAIK, none of these were strictly
> > SI metric.
>
> All Instruments in czech ( yes this was the old comunist country :-)
> are in SI only sometimes feets for altimeter are used.
> I ask one pilot, and he said me that the standard will be SI-metric

..sure?  I have seen altimeter calibration done in weird mixes like from
29inHg, thru metric 760mmHg, 1013mmBar, 1013 hPa and the SI 101.3 kPa.

> (at least for pressure and temperature)
> and feets for alt, because it gives better airspace division to FL.

..spacing by 500 meters and 1 km rather than 1000 feet and 2000 feet?

..plenty airspace, the plug in the system is the verbal communication
between the overworked rap artists trying to control traffic, and the
(often foreign) pilots flying blindfolded, without an intuitive view
of the (mostly IFR) traffic in faraway places.
They _are_ damned good at it.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: